Friday, May 22, 2009

We Are All Role Models - Small Eyes Are Watching You

When I was only about six or seven years old, the local chief of police was a bodybuilder. We lived not too far from the police station and in the summer time, I could watch him train in the backyard of the station. I was very impressed with his physique so I asked my dad to make me some dumbbells so that I could train also. Five decades later, I'm still training at least three times a week.

Without even being aware of it, that man had implanted a seed in me that has grown and lasted almost a lifetime. He introduced me to the world of bodybuilding. Anyone who is familiar with that sport know how much efforts are required to obtain some results. That in itself was a major lesson for me. It showed me that with efforts, patience and dedication, it is always possible to turn the impossible into the possible and the dream into reality.

That nice man never knew what he had done for me and to this day he is still one of my hero. He is still one of my hero because his life and example touched me in another very profound way. Some years ago I suffered a trauma at the cervical spine and the doctors told me that had it not been for the excellent physical shape that I was in at the time, chances are that I never would have walked following that incident.

Whether we know it or not, people observe us and the example that we give can move them on the side of those who are part of the problems or on the side of those who contribute to solutions. There is no better forms of teaching than doing it through example.

Now, the question could be asked, what are the benefit of being a good example or a role model? Why should we bother? The prime reason is that it gets us to take a good long look at ourselves and see what is it about us that we like, dislike or could improve. That in itself could be worth the whole exercise. But there is more.

Just how will we behave now that we see ourselves as role models? Chances are that we'll try to be at our best all the time. Again, it would mean a small but meaningful distinction.

The next advantage of the exercise of being a role model is that we would look more closely at our own role models and see if there could be some positive traits that we could emulate and thus better ourselves.

Seeing ourselves as role models, without taking ourselves too seriously, can mean a huge difference in our behavior. It will alter the way that we present ourselves to others along with minor but important distinctions in what we say and do. For some, it may even mean a major makeover.

Whether we are aware of it or not, we are being observed. Most of the time it is done at the level of the unconscious but it is there nevertheless. What we do and how we do it affect people's thinking and reasoning. For anyone who aspire to raise above the level of the ordinary, it is a moral duty to be all that we can be.

By doing so, we get to contribute positively to society and best of all, we are the first to benefit from our efforts. Every time that we light a candle to dispel the darkness for others the light shines a little brighter for us. Every time that we serve as a role model, some leadership characteristics are bestowed upon us.

Catherine Aird said, "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." The choice is ours and it's an easy choice to make. The problem is that, at times, we forget how important we are, or worse, we refuse to believe it.

As a tribute to the man who unknowingly did so much for me, I would like to introduce you to Joffre L'Heureux. A gentlemen extraordinaire. A man who deserves to be emulated. The example of what we all should be.

Article by - Dr. Raymond Comeau aka Shamou is the Author of ShamouBlog and Administrator of Personal Development for Personal Success Forums.

[print_link] For graphic/photo/image credits.

No comments:

Post a Comment