Monday, February 23, 2009

Overcoming Obstacles - Don't Let Them Stop You From Living YOUR Life!

You may have real obstacles or you may have imagined ones. Either way they tend to stop you cold. And guess what? Obstacles are a normal part of the process -particularly life changing processes.

If you spend your time avoiding obstacles -you get frustration and "what ifs" and regrets.

If you are looking to live without a job, you may not even RECOGNIZE your obstacles!

Here are the top 3 obstacles my clients work through with me:

Obstacle #1: You don't know how.

Every new endeavor will require learning new things. And that to me is exciting! Don't let the "how" derail you. Here's a secret. Change the "how" to "what." What is it you want? What do you need to do next? It may take time to percolate... but you will get your answers. Keep moving in the direction you want.

Here's an example. In 2003 I decided I wanted to go to Italy in 2004. I didn't know "how." I didn't know how I would justify and pay for a vacation. I didn't know which cities I'd visit. I didn't know how I'd travel solo with no Italian language skills.

AND I didn't let those perceived obstacles stop me. I wrote it down on my goals list. Then I told 3 people within 2 days...."I am going to Italy in 2004." It was a done deal.

I bought a guidebook on Italy. I took out my passport and left it in plain view. I put up a photo of Venice as the background setting on my computer so I could see it often.

And then.....a brochure came in the mail from a professional career development organization I belonged to....

Their 2004 annual meeting was to be held in.... Venice!

So now it was starting to come together. I could write off most of the travel costs to a business trip....I'd have a starting place with colleagues so I could get comfortable before venturing out on my own....I had a beginning destination. I booked the trip...went....had a fabulous time!

Obstacle #2. Your ego and identity around work.


One of the biggest obstacles I faced when leaving my last "job job" was my mighty ego.

I had worked a long time to get the title....the nice office....in a beautiful marble filled building....a prestigious organization....and yet I was miserable...

Not at first ...I loved the work for more than 15 years...but when it was time to go out on my own...

I was worried about losing the prestige....who would I be if I was just Ann Ronan, on my own...working from home?

Well it didn't take me long to figure out that who I was ...was happy. Now I really get that doing work that makes me happy is the greatest reward of all.

Obstacle 3. Listening to the wrong people

Those who secretly long to be their own boss are often full of bad advice for people who are on the verge of taking the leap.

How many of you were encouraged to be self employed when you were a kid? Probably not too many! It just wasn't understood or valued by most of our parents and teachers.

Protect your dream early on....nurture it like a seed and be careful who you expose it to.

Those who love you most may not be able to support you at first...they are concerned and fearful for you.

Keep learning about self employment...keep taking your steps with the encouragement of those who CAN support you (like our Success Circle!) ...and when your loved ones see your success....they will share in your joy.

Article by Ann Ronan. Ann delivers smart, simple ways for people to acknowledge what they love to do and do more of it. Her articles, products, and books have motivated and inspired readers in numerous print and online publications. She regularly leads coaching programs, tele-seminars and live retreats, bringing the message to audiences internationally that living a passion-based life will bring prosperity and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment